Users are added to Dynamic Groups based on certain criteria, specified in the Dynamic Group Editor.
To navigate to Group filters:
- Click on the Admin tab.
- Click on the Groups subtab.
- Under the Type column, find any Dynamic Group and click on the Group title.
Dynamic Groups start off empty. This list of Group Filters determines whether a user is automatically added to the group based on a user's Profile and Job.
Personnel File Filter
Any field in a user's Profile can be used to add a user to a group.
To add a Personnel File filter:
- Under the Personnel File section click on Add Filter.
Logical Comparator Examples
- Equal to: Select Postcode from the Field dropdown menu and enter Equal to as the Comparator, then anyone in a particular postcode that you enter into the Value field would be added to this group. To add a second qualifier to be added to a Group, click on Add Filter in Personnel File.
- AND: If you want a user to meet both the criteria of the first filter (ex: Postcode) and that of the second filter to add a user to this group, select AND to the left of the Field dropdown of the second filter.
- OR: Alternatively, select OR if a user will be filtered into the group by matching either criteria.
- Greater than: Select Hire Date from the Field dropdown, and select Greater than as the comparator. Now anyone hired after the date specified in the Value field will filter into the group.
- System Roles: Designates site access for users on a global level.
- Job: Job titles.
- Position Group: This is a middle layer of organizing between Job and Department.
Example: If Payroll is the department, and Data Entry Clerk and File Clerk are Jobs, Payroll Clerks would be the Position Group.
- Supervisory Level: Your company's management hierarchy like employee, manager, etc.
- Department: Organization departments like sales, HR, finance, etc.
- Location: List of your company's locations
- Country: List of countries your company operates in.
- State / Province: States or provinces within countries you operate in.
A Country Filter must be designated before a State / Province Filter can be created.
If more than one filter is set, a user must meet all criteria in order to be added to the group, except in the case of a filter added as an OR condition.
For example, to create a Dynamic Group for all service technicians of an auto dealership group:
- Under Job, add filters for service technician titles, such as collision tech, service tech, service manager, etc, using the Equal To comparator. Each of these titles should be joined by an OR filter.
- Under Location, add filters for the dealerships using the Equal To comparator. Each of these locations should be joined by an OR filter.
- Click on Save.
Viewing the Members of a Dynamic Group
To view members of a Dynamic Group:
- Click on the blue highlighted Number of Group Members at the top of the page.
- Compare the list of names shown to the expected list to make sure the group is working as desired.